Monday, September 27, 2010

End of an Era/New Beginning

I must say it has been a wild and crazy summer.  June, July and August were super busy at the Center.  There have been a lot of changes there.  A lot of personal difficulties.  I went on vacation at the end of August/beginning September and came back to work and BAM! They let me go.  After everything I'd been through with them.  6 different Executive directors in 3 years. Almost shutting completely down.  Removal of the mammal program.  6 baby seasons.  I really don't know why.  They gave me a vague reason, but they couldn't back it up and wouldn't tell me what I'd done.  I have my theories (money and certain people). I lived and breathed that place 24/7 and was passionate about the cause, so it was like they ripped my heart out and turned my world inside out and upside down.  I don't stand for a cause anymore.   I've been heartbroken this past month and I've sort of lost myself.  I haven't been able express my love of all things Owly as much and I can't seem to get excited about birds or enjoy birdwatching anymore. 
I just don't know what to do with myself. 
I've had a lot of good feedback and support from a few of my former coworkers and a lot of love and support from many of the volunteers.  Some of them questioned whether they should continue to spend their time there, but I encouraged them to stay if they enjoyed it and because the birds need the help now more than ever.  And I definately couldn't have gotten through this without my families support. 
I immediately started applying for jobs.  I've had a phone and inperson interview with the Zoo for a part-time position and am waiting to hear anyday now from them (they've called my references this week).  I interviewed and accepted a part-time position at Macy's for the season and just to get me by.  Hopefully I can get the keeper postition at the Zoo and work up to a full-time position.

On to more positive things....
I am slowly getting back on track.  I've decided that it will have to be a homemade Christmas this year and trying to get gift ideas together for the family.  
I also managed to celebrate a BIG birthday this month.  Not the happiest I've had, but I always love birthdays.  Of course nothing could top last years birthday which was celebrated in Tanzania, Africa.

They had a few other Owl items, but I didn't have much left on my card.  I also used my birthday $5 off $20 coupon.

And since September 23rd was the first day of Autumn I made Some Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Bars.  They really turned out to be more like Paula Dean's Gooey Pumpkin Bars and probably could have used a higher temperature, but they are soooooo tastey and rich!

(and yes, thats a Pumpkin candle in the background)

This blog will become my motivation to get back on track and start doing what I love again.

The Owl

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your job :( I hope you find something that you love very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessie - This is my first time reading your blog and I'm delighted to find someone who likes owls. I absolutely love your green owl earrings. Wouldn't it be nice to have an owl exchange? I knit owls. Take a look: http://www.etsy.com/shop/auraknits
    Your pictures in Tanzania are amazing. What a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete