Monday, March 22, 2010

Officially Baby Season and Owly Monday

Its official this week.  Baby Season! We've had 4 juvenile Great Horned Owls come in.  A very small nestling (that I took home and fed at 12pm and 4 am for 3 nights), 2 sibling older nestlings and a single older nestling.  The first guy had some serious injuries and we sent to another facility.  I helped reunite the siblings with their parents Friday night.  After scoping out the area we decided on a HUGE Pine tree with a nice fork to put the artificial nest (whicker basket from Walmart) and plenty of understory and cover. Thats not me climbing the tree....a volunteer arborist helped us get the babies back.  (Thanks David!)  In the second pic, you can see the basket in the fork of the tree.  David is getting the baby out of the bucket to place in the nest basket.

So from now on...weekly posts may be too difficult for me.  I'll do my best to keep up, but no promises 'til late August. (yeah, it lasts THAT long!)


The Owl

1 comment:

  1. I'll be looking for those flip flops at Target today. :)
    melodye

    ReplyDelete