Tuesday, May 11, 2010

She's Crafty

Its been a busy week on the craft front.  My first project was to make Mothers Day gifts for my mom and mother-in-law.  I found a really nice tutorial on The How-To Gal.

Wood Blocks from Hobby Lobby
Brown Spray Paint from Home Depot
Hinges from Home Depot
Mod Podge (on hand)
Helpful Hint: I'd recommend using a Laser Printer or have the pictures printed at an office supply store.  We printed ours on our Epson and the ink tends to run/smear.  But I liked it w/ some faint streaks (and so did the moms).  And by some miracle, I was able to get all 3 cats in one picture.  They may not all be looking, but they're all there!

The Alabama Wildlife Center held its first Wild Baby Shower this weekend and it was a huge success! We had lots of visitors who gave lots of wonderful things to help us through baby season.

I found some cute Owl candy molds at Bake It Pretty and made some milk and white chocolate lollypops to sell.  I used my owl vases w/ floral foam to arrange them.

We created a bean bag toss game and I made the bean bags for 4 different foods that certain birds would eat.  I scavenged the scrap bins at Hancock Fabrics and found some for really cheap and freehanded most of the food items.  Then used fabric markers to draw on more details.
Fish

Waxworms (I just randomly pleated the fabric to make ridges).

Mice.  For the mice I used this tutorial from craftster.org.  I used ribbon for the tail and fabric markers for the details.

   
Sunflower Seeds.  I used part of the mouse tutorial and cut out 4 pieces and sewed them together.  I painted some nonspecific detailing.

Here are the boards a wonderful volunteer painted! They are just amazing!
Red-tailed Hawk = Mice
Northern Cardinal = Sunflower Seeds
Eastern Bluebird = Waxworms
Great-blue Heron = Fish
The kids really enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll be using this for many events to come!
You can see more pictures from the event on AWC's Facebook page.

The Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment